Sunday, March 4, 2012

Piano Lessons

I started teaching piano lessons at the beginning of February. I've kind of toyed with the idea in the past, but never did anything about it. I think that before the time was never right, but now we have a place to put a real piano, and, you know, we HAVE a real piano.


 It sure is nice to have things filling up our front room now.

Anyway, I was really excited and really nervous to start, but I think that it's going to be a good experience for everyone involved. All of my students (I currently have four) are good natured and smart and just a pleasure to work with. I'm trying really hard to make lessons fun!

This little booger can make things difficult sometimes, though.


After my first round of lessons, I was surprised at how exhausted and drained I was, though I suppose I shouldn't have been. I'm amazed at people who do this all day!

Phil is taking a group piano class at BYU this semester, mostly, he says, to learn the theory part so that he can compose more interesting music. I caught him sitting at the piano one evening like this:


I quick snapped a picture so that I could have a perfect example of how NOT to sit at the piano. You're SUPPOSED to sit on the front half of the bench, back straight, feet flat on the floor (or on the pedals):

We laughed about it.

1 comment:

  1. Posture really does make him look more professional. Last Saturday night we saw Alice Demske Hansen play in the Assembly Hall on Temple Square. We've also seen her sister Hilary Demske there. Straight backs. And when Hilary plays her body doesn't move at all. All the energy comes out through her fingers. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete