Sunday, June 5, 2011

Our first broken bone

As parents. Phil and I have both had broken bones (Phil broke his arm once, and I've broken my arm 3 times).

But as for Lacey, this is the first. Lacey was playing No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed (I guess) one morning while I was in the bathroom. Then there was a thud and a scream of "ouchie!" and an upset child that not even cartoons and chocolate chips could console. Well, they did console her for a while, but she kept coming back to me in tears, asking for kisses on her arm. Her arm didn't look broken or swollen, but I could tell there was something wrong. And sure enough, the doctor confirmed that her arm was broken. So on went the splint (with much protest from a very upset child--good thing we good Daddy with us so that he could hold her down). And then back we went a few days later for the cast, which required the use of a papoose--basically she had to be strapped to a board with velcro so that she couldn't move or wiggle, since she was being completely uncooperative. Not that I can blame her for that. But actually once she was in the thing she calmed down and just watched what the doctor was doing pleasantly. She's adapted really well to having the cast on her arm. She even willingly holds out her arm for me to put a plastic bag over it before her bath. Little children really are amazingly adaptable. She has to have the cast until the end of June.

No comments:

Post a Comment